3. What is personal data and how do we collect personal information?
Personal data is defined by the Data Protection Act 2018 and the GDPR (collectively, “the Data Protection Legislation”) as ‘any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier’.
Personal data is, in simpler terms, any information about you that enables you to be identified. Personal data covers obvious information such as your name and contact details, but it also covers less obvious information such as identification numbers, electronic location data, and other online identifiers. The terms personal data and personal information are used interchangeably.
We may collect personal information when you:
- Visit/access our website;
- Contact us by telephone, email, SMS, letter or any other form of messaging;
- Visit any of our offices or developments;
- Complete any of our website contact forms;
- Access information about our developments and/or new homes via a third-party provider, such as a property portal e.g. local agent portals, Rightmove or others; and
- Whenever you enter into any transaction with us, whether it’s in person or any other way, and if you request information from us with a view to entering into a transaction with us.
This may include, for example, your:
- Email address;
- Postal address; and
- Telephone or mobile number.
As well as information about:
- Your use of our website; and
- The purpose of your visit to our website or the reason you made contact with us.
This policy also covers our use of any of your personal information, whether provided to us in person, over the phone, via email, SMS or any social messaging, via website contact forms, property portals or in other correspondence.
Requests for additional information
Sometimes we will require you to provide further personal information. This may be if you are purchasing or thinking about purchasing a home from us, or if you ask us to contact you with properties/developments that may be of interest to you. Whenever we do this, we will tell you why we are collecting this information and how we will use it.
Queries via social media
Our social media pages, such as Instagram and LinkedIn, are monitored by dedicated members of our staff. They pass any customer queries, questions or complaints onto the most appropriate person in our team, so that we can respond accordingly.
If you contact us online, we may monitor the type of device used by you. This may include specific identification, such as your IP address.
CCTV and call monitoring
Our developments use CCTV to make sure we provide a safe and secure environment for all visitors to our premises and to ensure the protection of our employees and property. We also reserve the right to record calls for training, monitoring and quality purposes.